Peer support for male sexual abuse survivors is not about what is bad, wrong or doesn’t work but rather about what is possible and what can be achieved together.
Meeting with people who speak your language
When you are in a peer support relationship (one-to one or in a peer group), it’s common to share your experience and talk about what you’ve been through and what you’ve done— things that relate to why you are there and why you are seeking support. It’s helpful to know that you are in conversation with a person, or speaking to a group of people, who understand what you are talking about.
no need to fear the judgment
No matter what you’ve been through, what you say or how you say it, your peers have likely been through it, seen it before, or heard it from someone else. There is no need to fear the judgment of your peer support person or the group when you are doing nothing more than sharing your own experience.
who understand what you are talking about.
Learning with people who have been where you are
You will meet people who started out where you are, have had similar experiences and have moved forward to a place of recovery. This provides an opportunity to develop coping skills as you learn how others have navigated their life challenges. And it provides you with a regular reminder that healing and hope are real possibilities.
healing and hope are real possibilities.
Some of the benefits commonly reported by people who participate in effective peer support activities are:
• Increased self-esteem and self-confidence
• A sense of purpose
• Increases motivation to implement life changes
• Increased involvement in meaningful activities
• Increases in the quality and number of relationships – greater social support network
• Increased resilience and quality of life
• A greater sense of wellbeing and increased ability to cope
• Longer periods of wellbeing
• Increased ability to communicate with and deal with other support services
• Positive outcomes where other services have failed.
• An opportunity to ‘give-back’ by helping others