Financial support for victims of sexual abuse

Up to $500 is available to help with the emergency costs incurred immediately after the crime like replacing clothing, emergency accommodation and repairing or replacing damaged property.

$100 a day is available for victims / survivors and an unpaid support person to attend the trial. Funding of $300 per day is also available to pay another organisation (like Rape Crisis or other non-government organisation) to provide a paid support person if an unpaid support person is not available or suitable.

Costs of travelling to court, parole or other hearings.

These grants are not means-tested.

There is also a means-tested assistance with other costs like relocation or counselling.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you were the victim / survivor of a sexual crime that occurred on after 1 January 2010, and you reported this crime to the police.

What kinds of things are covered by the $500 grant?

  • replacing clothing or personal belongings lost, stolen or damaged during the crime or taken by the police for their investigation
  • temporary accommodation, childcare or meals, for you and any children in your care, if the crime happened at your home
  • repairs, cleaning or car hire if your car was involved in the crime
  • repairs to your home if it was damaged as a result of the crime
  • any income you lost taking time off work to be interviewed by the police
  • costs travelling to and from a police station to report or help with the crime investigation.

How do I apply?

Your Victim Support worker, or someone from a specialist agency like Rape Crisis can help you apply. You will need to complete a very simple form with your contact information and the details of the costs you experienced. Then have your agency support person or Victim Support worker verify that you are you, and sign your application. Here’s the application form:

Download Sexual Violence Assistance Form

How do I find out more?

Contact Victim Support 0800 842 846 to find out where your nearest office is or contact a specialist agency like Rape Crisis – you’ll find them listed near the front of your phone book under ‘personal help services’