Barriers to Disclosure
- Male victims of sexual violence typically take 25 years or more to disclose.
- They may avoid the perceived disruption to their life if they try to deal with it.
- Their disclosure may be reduced by the effect disclosure has, or might have, on others.
- They may be told that they are lying
- They may be told to go away and deal with it.
- They may experience a lack of services
What improves disclosure?
Reduce the shame
- Casual enquiry by clinician
- Assurance of the normality/commonness
- Possible self disclosure by friend/professional
- Information that can be acted on
- Hearing success stories
- Being asked directly by trusted person/friend
Reduce the fear
- Reading/gathering data online
- Hearing personal testimony. Hear the benefits.
- Reassurance by another of support and availability