Physical signs such as:
- Unexplained bruises, welts, cuts and abrasions
- Unexplained fractures or dislocations
- Burn marks
- No clear explanation for any of the above
- Behavioural concerns such as emotional withdrawal, aggression or anxiety
- Developmental delays, changes or signs
- The child talking about or subtly mentioning things that may indicate abuse
- Parents seeming stressed or not coping on the money they have
- Drug or alcohol problems
- Parents not having friends or family to help
- Adults hitting or yelling
- Mental health problems
- Children are left home alone or seem to be neglected
- Children routinely not going to school
Ask yourself these questions
- Is the child’s behaviour a sign of abuse or neglect, or are there other things going on in the family that could affect them?
- How is the child’s behaviour?
- How is the child’s development?
- Has the child or family hinted at, or said that something is wrong?
- Are there signs of family violence?
- Do I sense the family is struggling, or the child is at risk in some way?