The worker was tested for ischemic hepatitis, caused by a lack of blood to the liver, but his organs showed no signs of oxygen shortage, and he had normal renal function. Blood tests for other viral causes of hepatitis were negative.
Finally, a biopsy showed that his liver damage was non-specific, meaning it was caused by drugs or toxins, the report said, rather than a virus.
“Energy drinks are not a source of viral hepatitis,” confirmed Donnica Smalls, a spokeswoman for the viral hepatitis center at the CDC.
The patient’s blood sample revealed levels of serum folate and vitamin B12 that “exceeded quantifiable limits,” according to the report. Both serum folate, or folic acid, and B12 are common ingredients in energy drinks. Consumed excessively, these vitamins can accumulate in the liver and become toxic, the report said.
The patient’s liver injury “was directly subsequent to excessive consumption of energy drinks, and resolved on discontinuation of the products,” the report concluded. The patient’s symptoms resolved by the third day of hospitalization, the report notes, and he was discharged on day six.
After something as scary as this, let’s hope he stays away from energy drinks and minds what he puts in his body, just in case next time it is not reversible and causes serious damage. Detoxification of his liver could be the way to go in this instance to make sure that it is cleaned and clear. He may want to go down the natural route such as liver health supplements to see how they can help him, however, after his scare he will want to discuss this option with a doctor first to make sure this is the best fit for his health at this moment in time.